In Waco on November 11th the Bears crushed the Tigers, 78-47. It was all Baylor from the start, going into halftime up 40-23. Jackson State never got close.
Pierre Jackson was the leading scorer for the Bears with 25 points in 24 minutes. Rico Gathers added 10 big rebounds.
Some notes on this pairing: A year ago, Baylor won 92-59. Going back four years, the Bears are 5-0 with all games being played at Ferrell Center.
The game came down to a big separation in shooting and rebounding.
While the Bears shot 50%, the Tigers could only manage 35% against their defense. Baylor hit the glass harder than Jackson State, 44 rebounds to 28, and that led to more possessions and second-chance shots.
Bravo to Baylor for a good early season win against Jackson State. If they can build on this victory, the Bears can get off to a good start. The Bears are now 2-0.
Next up is Boston College on November 15th.
- Rico Gathers recorded a double-double. It was the 1st of his career.
- Baylor started 2-0 during the 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2002, 2001, 2000, and 1999 seasons (since 1996).
- Pierre Jackson accounted for 32.0% of the team's points.
- This was the 2nd blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, Baylor has been on the winning end of 35 blowout games.
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 9:00 left to go.
Jackson State Game Notes:
- Jeff Stubbs accounted for 34.0% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Derrell Taylor and Willie Readus) accounted for 42.8% of the rebounds.
Check out the complete Games Notes
Tags: Pierre Jackson
, Rico Gathers